21 October 2007

The Usefulness of Walls for Politics (3)

Sept. 22., 5 a.m.: The border near Naco, Ariz.,

under the watchful glare of security lights.

Sept. 19, 4 a.m.: Two towns called Nogales, one in Arizona
(foreground) and one in Mexico
.
Both photographs © Simon Norfolk/NB Pictures (2006),
for
The New York Times

I came across these images by Simon Norfolk in this retrospective of his terrific work over the past half dozen years for The Times. They seem like an appropriate way to extend my series of posts on walls and politics [1] [2].

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom White said...

On the whole I am a fan of Simon Norfolk's work - I sometimes think his photographs aren't quite as laden with meaning as he claims but having heard him speak about his work while I was a student and also having had the opportunity to exchange a few brief words with him I can honestly say he is an intelligent and likeable man and has since been an undoubted influence on my own work. His best photographs really hit the mark in my opinion.

22 October, 2007 00:29  
Blogger Jim Johnson said...

I am not uniformly enthusiastic about his work, but these border shots are really quite striking.

22 October, 2007 15:42  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home