24 October 2007

The Valley of the Shadow of Death (3)

The shadow of Errol Morris in the Valley of the Shadow of Death.
Like Fenton, I am looking north and the sun is behind me.
Photo by Errol Morris © The New York Times

In The New York Times today you can find the third and final installment of Errol Morris's somewhat obsessive quest to establish the veracity or otherwise of a famous photo of a Crimean War Battlefield by Roger Fenton. It is fair to say that Morris goes to great lengths in his quest; I won't spoil the ending.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dawei from Beijing said...

It seems like every blog I frequent has linked to this story. Am I the only one who finds these Morris essays tedious to read and wholly uninteresting?

24 October, 2007 17:35  
Blogger Jim Johnson said...

d .... what I find striking is the obsessiveness that it has elicited from readers ... Morris's basic question is relatively interesting insofar as if figures in the larger sort of argument that Sontag (among others) makes ... but the fervor of the comments is really quite stunning.

24 October, 2007 19:38  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home