17 November 2007

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Last night my friend Susan and I watched The Wind the Shakes the Barley the 2006 film directed by Ken Loach about the Republican resistance to the British in 1920s Ireland. It is a really terrific film and political in the broad sense that it raises all sorts of questions about the brutalizing effects of occupation on both occupiers and occupied, the troubling distinction between freedom fighter and terrorist, the conflicts between personal and political loyalties, the tensions between various political ideologies, and so on. The acting was uniformly strong and the cinematography focused on the austere beauty of rural Ireland.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Pincus said...

Fantastic film.

Incredible blog.

The post on August hit close to home. I've recently learned that this insanity is much too common. I admire your attitude and perspective about the situation. I've passed it along to my closest friend hoping that he might adopt your approach when dealing with his very similar situation.

Cheers.

21 November, 2007 15:02  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home