17 June 2008

Politics and Public Art

"Of course in sculpture ... the work has to stand or fall according to
what
it does with space. ... It is the space a work creates within and
around itself
which articulates its strength, its joy, or its suffering."
~ John Berger


Here I am at the "Peace Gardens" in downtown Manchester (U.K.) on my way down to a conference at Oxford. As it turns out, in 1980 Manchester became first "nuclear free" city in the world, the culmination of campaign a by local politicians as part of a broader movement for nuclear disarmament.

The bronze sculpture, commemorating the declaration, was created by Barbara Pearson and is entitled "Messenger of Peace" (1986). The inscription on the stone just behind me to my left (barely legible in this picture) reads: "The World's First Nuclear Free City." And Pearson's messenger creates an inviting, serene , nearly contemplative space in the middle of a busy city.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite being an opinionated asshole, you are super sexy!

18 June, 2008 20:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I spot an earring?! You are one badass professor! LOL

22 June, 2008 19:39  
Blogger Jim Johnson said...

Yes, I have had an ear ring since 1977. I now have three. One for each of my sons. If that makes me a 'bad ass' so be it. But you seem to be spending way too much time pondering my picture. My recommendation? Find a hobby.

23 June, 2008 13:42  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home