25 August 2008

Josef Koudelka

"For a long time no one here was interested in remembering, ... but now I think they start to remember again. If this book helps the remembering I am happy. We Czechs are not like you Irish or the Poles. We do not behave bravely many times against the odds, but in this one week, as my book shows, we should be very proud of how we behave.

[. . .]

Originally, I did not want to make the book or the exhibition, ... I knew already I had selected the 10 best. And, to be truthful, when I was working on this book, I did not discover one that I would have added to these 10. They are the ones that have a universal value. In them it is not so important who is Russian and who is Czech. It is more important that one man has a gun and one man has not." ~ Josef Koudelka
This is a follow-up on a post from late last week. Josef Koudelka is now 70, he became anonymously famous as a thirty year old for a couple of handfulls of pictures he took during the 1968 Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia that were smuggled out of the country and published pseudonymously. Now there is a book and an exhibition (opening at Aperture Gallery in NYC this week). You can find a long interview-based essay on Koudelka from The Guardian here. And today, in The New York Times there was yet another thoughtful remembrance/reassessment of the 'Prague Spring' and its implications.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home