14 January 2009

Citizens not Consumers - Tell our Elected Officials to Cease With the Anti-Palestinian Activities

In an earlier post I argued against the call for a boycott against Israel on two grounds: (1) I doubt it would be effective, and (2) I think it treats those who rightly condemn the current Israeli aggression (as well as their policies toward the Palestinians more broadly) not as citizens but as consumers. On the last point - at least from an American perspective - I think, there are two telling news reports that support my basic position. The first establishes how right-wing Congressional Democrats are on this issue. The second documents how our most senior elected officials in New York State participated in a virulently anti-Palestinian political rally in NYC earlier this week. We don't need to boycott the Israelis, we need to pressure our own government and our own elected officials to take an even-handed approach to the Palestinian-Israeli matters - in Gaza immediately and as a more general matter. That requires that we act as citizens not consumers.

Labels: , , ,


Blogger Mike said...

I've posted the picture of Guernica from Wikipedia on my web site and blog with a notice that there will be no more postings until the bombing is halted.

14 January, 2009 15:32  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home