07 January 2009

Please Stop the Bus, I Want to Get Off

Photograph lifted from Flickr here.

I have mentioned before that I do not believe - in God, that is. So, as I explained here: "I am not religious. That means that I think god is irrelevant to my life and how I lead it. So I don't want to spend my time denying god's existence. I want to spend my time on things that matter." It is no surprise, then, that the to do that's arisen around the "atheist bus campaign" (complete with an official web site) in Britain (and apparently elsewhere) leaves me a bit cold. I suppose it is nice to know that someone will talk back with appropriate levity to the intolerant religious majority. (Although the spokes persons for the campaign seem to be entirely too serious about all this.) But I am not interested in being an atheist since that makes my life and convictions and actions parasitic on the existence of theists. I'd rather drop the whole topic and send the substantial sum of money raised for this campaign to Doctors Without Borders for use in tending to the maimed and the terrorized in Gaza.
Update: The New York Times reports on all this here.

Labels: ,


Blogger mattilda bernstein sycamore said...

Wait -- they haven't been killed yet (Doctors with Borders representatives in Gaza, that is)?

07 January, 2009 03:37  
Blogger Public Squalor said...

I pretty much agree although it's also true that religious zealots don't typically don't embrace "live and let live". One lesson of the Bush administration is that ceding ground to domestic religious zealots has serious negative consequences in public policy - (creationism indeed!)

I'd be more supportive of a campaign like this if its message advocated tolerance for atheists and the like. "There's Probably No God" just antagonizes a group of folks who are already paranoid and convinced that they themselves are target/victims of a godless elite. At least in the U.S. anyway.

Maybe the one bright spot is that according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, the evangelical demographic is on the decline here. Thank god!

peace -

07 January, 2009 11:10  
Blogger AMEN said...

while i gree that it is an absurd waste of money. I mean, thousands of dollars to put on a bus what 5 bucks in spray paint could have easily done. However, let's not forget that groups who use god as their salesman tend to do a lot of damage in this world, not just war in his name, but also vast amounts of repression, across the board. So I say, Hurrah!

This, by the way, is coming from one who does believe in god, probably many of them.

07 January, 2009 17:35  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home