20 July 2009

Enthusiasms (24) ~ Trio 3

It has been six months or so since I posted the last item in this series; I'm not sure how I fell out of the habit, but there is no need to abandon the theme! While I was teaching in Ann Arbor I ordered these two discs by the collaborative undertaking by Reggie Workman, Oliver Lake, and Andrew Cyrille called Trio 3. You can find their collective presence on the web here and here. These discs (the latter including pianist Geri Allen) were released in 2006 and 2009 respectively on the Swiss label Intakt. As far as I can tell Trio 3 has released five other recordings all on equally obscure labels ~ Live at Willsau (Dizim, 1999), Encounter (Passin' Thru, 2000), Open Ideas (Palmetto, 2002), Trio 3 + Irene Schweizer, Berne Concert (Intakt, 2007) and Wha's Nine (Marge, 2008). The music is simply terrific ~ lot's of open space so that the angles and tempos play off of one another in all sorts of oblique and convergent ways. I have said this before, but it really is astounding how much of what I think of as being terrific jazz is being made by musicians in their sixties and seventies.*
__________
* So, by my count, that is seven discs in a decade. And each of theses fellows has produced multiple other releases with other ensembles. That is pretty remarkable.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home