18 July 2009

Passings: Leszek Kolakowski (1927-2009)

"I wish to live in a small rustic cabin, on the edge of a great forest,
located at the intersection of the Champs Elysee and
52nd Street in Manhattan" ~ Leszek Kolakowski

Some time ago I posted on one of my graduate school teachers, philosopher Leszek Kolakowski. I use his "wish" as the basis for part of a lecture here in Ann Arbor each summer. In the news this morning I learned that Professor Kolakowski has died at the age of 81. This is a great intellectual loss. You can find the notice from the BBC here. And there is an appreciative essay in the NYRB here. Today I am traveling, so I will have to wait to offer some proper comments.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Stan B. said...

Love that quote!

20 July, 2009 00:22  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home