08 January 2010

This week Macs Suck

Regular visitors may recall that not long ago I 'came out', admitting publicly that I had made the transition from PC to Mac (post here). That was about two months ago. Tuesday the hard drive on the shiny new Mac failed, leaving me in the lurch and a pretty dis-satisfied customer. So, for a while, posts will be few and far between.


Blogger Stan B. said...

The Dark Side is not without its own limitations, Jim.

08 January, 2010 15:03  
Blogger Matthias said...

I suspect you're a pretty dissatisfied customer of Seagate, Western Digital or Samsung, then. Apple doesn't make the hard drive that failed, and Google's study on hard drives (labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf ) would tend to indicate there's no correlation between heat (which could be the consequence of a design flaw) and hard drive failure.

09 January, 2010 03:19  
Blogger sean said...

Not to add to the sourness of your experience, but I wonder if you are using the Time Machine feature that is now part of the mac os x operating system? It's really a god-send for situations like this. As Matthias alluded to, all hard drives are susceptible to failure. Since your machine is new, your drive would be covered under warranty I imagine, leaving only the pain of data loss to deal with. The Time Machine feature works in the background and requires virtually no administration or fussing on the part of the user, but when things go wrong, it's really easy to get your system back to where you left off (including all of your user data).

I don't mean to "pimp" from apple, I would imagine that by now Microsoft has a similar feature, but I haven't checked.

10 January, 2010 16:16  
Blogger Jim Johnson said...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I bought an Apple product and blaming subcontractors is simply bad customer relations. PC manufacturers do that all the time. The bottom line is that a top of the line Mac laptop failed completely within two months. I turned it off (so that newly installed updates could take hold) and it would not turn back on.

That meant that despite backing up work I lost roughly a week of my time and effort. There was the day or so of revisions on documents I had made that were totally lost
and the three-four days it then took to try to salvage (some) data from the defunct drive, get replacement parts, make repairs, and re-configure the machine. (I live int eh third largest city in NY and the local Apple folks did not have a replacement hard drive in stock!)

Let's just say that this has been a totally un-edifying experience.

11 January, 2010 11:42  
Blogger Jose Guilis said...

Sorry to read this, but doesn't surprise me. Macs seem to have developed lately a terrifying habit of crashing their hard disks, even when new. A friend of mine lost his a week ago ( a year old macbook, no backup) and I count about a dozen more in the last six months, wich is amazing considering very few of my friends/acquaintances use Macs.

15 January, 2010 17:51  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home