11 September 2011


This image of Manhattan was taken by the Enhanced Thematic Mapper
Plus (ETM+) aboard the Landsat 7 satellite on September 12, 2001.
Image courtesy USGS Landsat 7 team, at the EROS Data Center.

I am always at something of a loss about what to post on this day. Here are some previous efforts - [1] [2] [3] [4] - any one of which I might have re-cycled since they each still capture part of my thoughts and feelings. Today The Guardian is running this slideshow of images, mostly up close and personal, from 9-11. Today I've taken a different approach and lifted this image from npr in hopes it will encourage people - actually, Americans - to try to place some distance between themselves and their identities and this horrible, frightening event. Much of the news coverage over the past few days has been on the theme that 9/11 "changed everything." I would argue that that is so only to the extent that we have allowed it to - or have allowed others to make it - do so. That is a loss and a political one. It is important to recall that day and those who died in the attacks; but it is important too not to be defined by it.



Blogger Tom White said...

I couldn't agree more, especially with the final sentence. In America I have heard the phrase "...since 9/11..." far too many times. I was in South Korea on that date this year and the day was, well, just a normal day. That is to say it is not that people do not care about the events, but the obsession appears to be a mainly American one. I am afraid that the mantra to 'never forget' may well obscure what it is we are supposed to be actually remembering.

24 September, 2011 21:51  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home