08 April 2012

Possibilities - Friends & Lovers

I have posted with some regularity here about marriage and relationships. In part this is because the vicissitudes of my own life have kept such matter directly in front of me. In part too it is because here in the states marriage has been a pretty constant political issue. There are all sorts of issues involved in such discussions - freedom, commitment, sex, social expectations, passion, stability and so forth. And, it seems to me that the prospect of shoehorning all those into a one-size-fits-all arrangement is inauspicious and unattractive. Hence my ambivalence about the preoccupation with gay marriage. Yesterday in The Guardian and today in The New York Times there are essays (here and here) about other possibilities.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home