01 June 2013

Random Thoughts on the Weekend

This morning I drove in to the airport to collect Doug and Sam on their return from the big west coast adventure.  It was great to have them back. Seems like they had a great time and I am especially happy that they stopped to see August for several days. I wish they had the chance to spend more time together. It would be good for everyone concerned!

In any case, to get to the airport I drive a long stretch of the Lake Ontario State Parkway, which cuts across Braddock Bay, a bird haven. As I was driving some sort of hawk - pretty big, maybe an Osprey - swooped up from the water and across the road right in front of me and not much higher than the car top. It had a fish clutched in its claws, obviously intent on breakfast. Pretty impressive. But the entire episode happened in seconds.

Tomorrow is Jeff's Memorial Tournament. And that always is a hard day. I am wholly uninvolved with the tournament for many, many reasons. But here is a thought:

Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.
* W. S. Merwin, “Separation” from The Second Four Books of Poems (Port Townsend, Washington: Copper Canyon Press, 1993). Copyright © 1993 by W. S. Merwin.

Labels: , , , , ,


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home