07 July 2013

Against the Revival of Communism (2)

Jodi Dean has posted this short reply to Jeff Isaac - who reviewed her book The Communist Horizon (quite critically) in Dissent. I linked to Jodi's book and Jeff's review here. I said then that I know Jodi a bit and that she is smart. That said, I find most of what Jeff wrote compelling. While democracy has disappointed even advocates like myself and Jeff, I doubt one could point to it as an unmitigated disaster. So, I have to say that I am a bit taken aback when Jodi accuses Jeff of cultivating " a melancholic attachment to failure" for supporting robust democratic politics - however problematic that project may seem. I wonder what sort of attachment to failure one might have to sustain in order to face the repeated, massive disasters of the actually existing communism of the 20th century. It was not God that failed.

Labels: , , , ,


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home